My Daily Scripture

Friday, April 14, 2006

Daily Bible Readings for Holy Saturday, 14 April 2006

- GENESIS 1:1 - 2:2

Day and night I cry, and tears are my only food; all the time my enemies ask me, "Where is your God?"

Why am I so sad? Why am I so troubled? I will put my hope in God, and once again I will praise him, my savior and my God.

Send your light and your truth; may they lead me and bring me back to Zion, your sacred hill, and to your Temple, where you live. Then, I will go to your altar, O God; you are the source of my happiness. I will play my harp and sing praise to you, O God, my God.

- PSALMS 42:3, 5; 43:3, 4

Dead to Sin but Alive in Union with Christ

For surely you know that when we were baptized into union with Christ Jesus, we were baptized into union with his death. By our baptism, then, we were buried with him and shared his death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from death by the glorious power of the Father, so also we might live a new life.

For since we have become one with him in dying as he did, in the same way we shall be one with him by being raised to life as he was. And we know that our our old being has been put to death with Christ on his cross, in order that the power of the sinful self might be destroyed, so that we should no longer be the slaves of sin. For when we die, we are set free from the power of sin. Since we have died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. For we know that Christ has been raised from death and will never die again -- death will no longer rule over him. And so, because he died, sin has no power over him; and now he lives his life in fellowship with God. In the same way you are to think of yourselves as dead, so far as sin is concerned, but living in fellowship with God through Christ Jesus.

- ROMANS 6:3-11

The Resurrection

After the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices to go and anoint the body of Jesus. Very early on Sunday morning at sunrise, they went to the tomb. On the way they said to one another, "Who will roll away the stone for us from the entrance to the tomb?" (It was a very large stone.) Then they looked up and saw that the stone had already been rolled back. So they entered the tomb, where they saw a young man sitting at the right, wearing a white robe -- and they were alarmed.

"Don't be alarmed," he said, "I know you are looking for Jesus of Nazareth who was crucified. He is not here -- he has been raised! Look, here is the place where he was placed. Now go and give this message to his disciples, including Peter: 'He is going to Galilee ahead of you; there you will see him, just as he told you.'"

So they went out and ran from the tomb, distressed and terrified. They said nothing to anyone, because they were afraid.

MARK 16:1-8

Technorati tags:





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home