My Daily Scripture

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Daily Bible Readings for Wednesday, 12 April 2006

The Obedience of the Lord's Servant

The Sovereign Lord has taught me what to say, so that I can strengthen the weary. Every morning he makes me eager to hear what he is going to teach me. The Lord has given me understanding, and I have not rebelled or turned away from him. I bared my back to those who beat me. I did not stop them when they insulted me, when they pulled out the hairs of my beard and spit in my face.

But their insults cannot hurt me because the Sovereign Lord gives me help. I brace myself to endure them. I know that I will not be disgraced, for God is near, and he will prove me innocent. Does anyone dare bring charges against me? Let us go to court together! Let him bring his accusation! The Sovereign Lord himself defends me -- who, then, can prove me guilty? All my accusers will disappear; they will vanish like moth-eaten cloth.

- ISAIAH 50:4-9

I am like a stranger to my relatives, like a foreigner to my family.

My devotion to your Temple burns in me like a fire; the insults which are hurled at you fall on me. I humble myself by fasting, and people insult me.

When I was hungry, they gave me poison; when I was thirsty, they offered me vinegar.

May their banquets cause their ruin; may their sacred feasts cause their downfall.

This will please the Lord more than offering him cattle, more than sacrificing a full-grown bull.

The Lord listens to those in need and does not forget his people in prison.

Praise God, O heaven and earth, seas and all creatures in them.

- PSALMS 69:8-10, 21-22, 31, 33-34

Judas Agrees to Betray Jesus

Then one of the twelve disciples -- the one named Judas Iscariot -- went to the chief priests and asked, "What will you give me if I betray Jesus to you?" They counted out thirty silver coins and gave them to him. From then on Judas was looking for a good chance to hand Jesus over to them.

Jesus Eats the Passover Meal with His Disciples

On the first day of the Festival of Unleavened Bread the disciples came to Jesus and asked him, "Where do you want us to get the Passover meal ready for you?"

"Go to a certain man in the city," he said to them, "and tell him: 'The Teacher says, My hour has come; my disciples and I will celebrate the Passover at your house.'"

The disciples did as Jesus had told them and prepared the Passover meal.

When it was evening, Jesus and the twelve disciples sat down to eat. During the meal Jesus said, "I tell you, one of you will betray me."

The disciples were very upset and began to ask him, one after the other, "Surely, Lord, you don't mean me?"

Jesus answered, "One who dips his bread in the dish with me will betray me. The Son of Man will die as the Scripture says he will, but how terrible for that man who will betray the Son of Man! It would have been better for that man if he had never been born!"

Judas, the traitor, spoke up. "Surely, Teacher, you don't mean me?" he asked.

Jesus answered, "So you say."

- MATTHEW 26:14-25

Technorati tags:





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home