My Daily Scripture

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Daily Bible Readings for Sunday, 9 July 2006

A Prayer for Mercy

Lord, I look up to you, up to heaven, where you rule. As a servant depends on his master, as a maid depends on her mistress, so we will keep looking to you, O Lord our God, until you have mercy on us.

Be merciful to us,Lord, be merciful; we have been treated with so much contempt. We have been mocked too long by the rich and scorned by proud oppressors.

- Psalms 123:1-4

But to keep me from being puffed up with pride because of the many wonderful things I saw, I was given a painful physical ailment, which acts as Satan's messenger to beat me and keep me from being proud. Three times I prayed to the Lord about this and asked him to take it away. But his answer was: "My grace is all you need, for my power is greatest when you are weak." I am most happy, then, to be proud of my weaknesses, in order to feel the protection of Christ's power over me. I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and difficulties for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

- 2 Corinthians 12:7-10

Jesus is Rejected at Nazareth

Jesus left that place and went back to his hometown, followed by his disciples. On the Sabbath he began to teach in the synagogue. Many people were there; and when they heard him, they were all amazed. "Where did he get all this?" they asked. "What wisdom is this that has been given him:? How does he perform miracles? Isn't he the carpenter, the son of many, and the brother of James, Joseph, Judas, and Simon? Aren't his sisters living here?" And so they rejected him.

Jesus said to them, "Prophets are respected everywhere except in their hometown and by their relatives and their family."

He was not able to perform any miracles there, except that he placed his hands on a few sick people and healed them. He was greatly surprised, because the people did not have faith.

- Mark 6:1-6

Technorati tags:


2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home