My Daily Scripture

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Bible Readings for Tuesday, 14 March 2006

Jerusalem, your rulers and your people are like those of Sodom and Gomorrah. Listen to what the Lord is saying to you. Pay attention to what our God is teaching You.

Wash yourselves clean. Stop all this evil that I see you doing. Yes, stop doing evil and learn to do right. See that justice is done -- help those who are oppressed, give orphans their rights, and defend widows.

The Lord says, "Now, let's settle the matter. You are stained red with sin, but I will wash you as clean as snow. Although your stains are deep red, you will be as white as wool. If you will only obey me, you will eat the good things the land produces. But if you defy me, you are doomed to die. I, the Lord, have spoken."

- ISAIAH 1:10, 16-20

I do not reprimand you because of your sacrifices and the burnt offerings you always bring me. And yet I do not need bulls from your farms or goats from your flocks.

But God says to the wicked, why should you recite my commandments? Why should you talk about my covenant? You refuse to let me correct you; you reject my commands.

You have done all this, and I have said nothing, so you that that I am like you. But now I reprimand you and make the matter plain to you.

Giving thanks is the sacrifice that honors me, and I will surely save all who obey me.

- PSALM 50:8-9, 16-17, 21, 23

Jesus Warns against the Teachers of the Law and the Pharisees

Then Jesus spoke to the crowds and his disciples. "The teachers of the Law and the Pharisees are the authorized interpreters of Moses' Law. So you must obey and follow everything they tell you to do; do not, however, imitate their actions, because they don't practice what they preach. They tie onto people's backs loads that are heavy and hard to carry, yet they aren't willing even to lift a finger to help them carry those loads. They do everything so that people will see them. Look at the straps with scripture verses on them which they wear on their foreheads and arms, and notice how large they are! Notice also how long are the tassels on their cloaks! They love the best places at feasts and the reserved seats in the synagogues; they love to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces and to have people call them 'Teacher.' You must not be called 'Teacher,' because you are all equal and have only one Teacher. And you must not call anyone here on earth 'Father,' because you have only the one Father in heaven. Nor should you be called 'Leader,' because your one and only leader is the Messiah. The greatest one among you must be your servant. Whoever makes himself great will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be made great.

- MATTHEW 23:1-12

2 Comments:

  • Your My Daily Scripture is a great help. I have a bible on my table which I read daily, but yours is good for those who are lazy to open their bibles, or whose bibles are just kept in their book shelves. What bible do uou use?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, March 14, 2006 9:58:00 AM  

  • Thanks Mom. Tell Dad to read it daily. I use the Today's English Version... the one we used in our Wedding and gave away as souvenirs to the sponsors.

    By Blogger Toe, at Tuesday, March 14, 2006 11:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home